Millions of Americans get their day started with coffee every morning. To be specific, over 170 million Americans. When you add in the individuals who prefer to drink coffee in the evening or afternoon – the number of people who drink coffee on a daily basis in the US increases to over 200 million individuals. With around 64% of the entire population consuming coffee on a daily basis, it is a great time right now to join the coffee industry and start making money.
However, many individuals who have dreams of beginning their own coffee business feel overwhelmed and held back by the high start-up costs that are involved with opening a new coffee shop. Hiring employees, renting a building, and purchasing equipment can add up quickly. Since the initial investment is so high it means that it is a fairly big risk to open a brick-and-mortar coffee shop. If you have dreamed of being a successful coffee shop owner for a long time, but don’t want to have to spend a lot of money, you could consider launching an online coffee business instead. If you are passionate about coffee and are entrepreneurial, it can be a rewarding and lucrative business to sell coffee online.
10 Steps To Starting To Sell Coffee Online
It can be very challenging and fun to sell coffee from home, whether it is supplementary income, your career, or a hobby. If you would like to sell coffee from home but aren’t sure how to get started, follow the instructions for starting an online coffee business.
- Determine Who You Will Selling Your Coffee To
When you own an online coffee brand you are going to have two major kinds of customers: individuals and local coffee shops and other types of businesses. Every group has different needs, so it is critical to understand your target audience before you determine what kind of coffee you are going to sell. Individual buyers will most likely want bags of ground or whole coffee beans or single-serve capsules that can be used at home, busy restaurants might want pre-portion ground coffee for consistent and quick brewing, while cafes might prefer to purchase whole beans in big bags so they can be ground fresh every day.
In terms of the quality and flavor of their coffee, different customers are also going to have different concerns. Some people like caffeinated light roasts, while others prefer dark, rich roasts. Some coffee lovers are looking for “third-wave” or specialty coffee and are interested in knowing what the source and origin of their coffee beans are. Then there are other customers who are looking for fair-trade organic coffee.
The best method to narrow down your customer base is often to choose a niche market to target for your coffee brand. Instead of attempting to create coffee that everyone will like, your efforts can be focused on one coffee drinker group. This type of strategy will make it possible for you to specialize in specific coffee flavor profiles, company branding, and marketing efforts to your target customers.
- Determine Which Coffee Products You Would Like To Sell
Once you know who your target audience is, you can then figure out what kind of coffee you should sell that will suit their needs the best. Determine if you could like to sell coffee beans, pods for Nespresso®, cups for Keurig®, or a combination of these. The NCA reports that a single-cup machine is owned by 41% of coffee drinkers, while a drip-brew machine is used by 63% of coffee drinkers at home.
When determining which products you would like to sell make sure to check out what your competitors are offering online and on their shelves. You want to both keep up with the most current coffee trends and offer products that will help set your brand apart.
- Develop An Image For Your Brand
It doesn’t matter how great your coffee might taste, if you have an underdeveloped or poor brand image it can negatively impact your sales. It is especially important to have a strong brand image when you are selling coffee online since customers will not be able to task your product before buying it.
The image of your brand should be a reflection of what your business stands for and what your coffee is about. Your coffee might be transparently sourced, intensely strong, or you might offer unique flavors. There are many coffee companies that have become successful by specific values being communicated through their packaging, website content, logo, and name. When you can find something special that helps your coffee stand part, use that for developing your brand image.
Your coffee business’s logo and name will make customers either forget or remember your company. Choose a memorable and creative name, in addition to a logo that reflects what your business is all about. The way your coffee is packaged will also impact the way your brand is perceived by customers, whether you choose a timeless and class design, or a bright and bold coffee bag.
- Choose An E-Commerce Platform And Create Your Website
Your website is going to be your storefront. Therefore you should put just as much thought and care into its design as you would with setting up a brick-and-mortar coffee shop. Your website should be created with an easy-to-use and appealing interface so that customers will enjoy spending time on your website. It should also communicate what your company’s values are. Make sure that your website is professional and clean so that consumers will be confident to place online orders with you. Having a streamlined and professional website will also help to encourage sales if users are able to easily find and purchase the products that they are searching for. Try to create a website that looks good on both mobile devices and computers and loads quickly.
The most important aspect of owning a successful coffee business online is to choose the right e-commerce platform. Your website needs to include a shopping cart and make it possible for customers to make payments online easily. Popular e-commerce platforms such as Square Space, BigCommerce, and Shopify make it easy to design an e-commerce website since they offer checkout functions that are easy to use and customizable website designs.
Get Your Coffee Business Started Today
- Create Your Business Plan
Developing a written business plan might not be the most exciting aspect of starting a new coffee business. However, it is absolutely essential if you want your company to succeed. If you would like to earn a good profit, develop a business plan that contains your projected sales, ongoing expenses, and initial costs. Set your sales goal and determine what you are going to charge for your coffee. Be prepared at all times to make adjustments to your business plan whenever your coffee business changes and grows.
Make sure you keep good track of all of your inventory. That way you will be able to tell which of your products are not selling very well and which ones are the most popular. Paying attention to the details will allow you to reduce product waste and order efficiently. When you stay organized it will help your coffee business grow and thrive.
- Choose A Coffee Supplier
Selecting the right coffee supplier is critical to your online coffee company’s success. Your supplier will determine the flavor of your coffee and impact the quality of service that can be provided to your customers. The following are some of the most important things to watch for when choosing a coffee supplier.
- High-quality coffee. Your coffee needs to taste good if you want it to sell. Great suppliers offer high-quality coffee to meet your flavor and roasting requirements.
- Fast turns. When products are delivered fast, you will be able to keep your customers happy. However, in order to do this, you need a supplier that has quick turnaround times. You want to have a supplier that quickly fills your orders, so your customers never have o wait for their favorite roast to come in.
- Low minimum. If you are just getting started with your coffee business, it is important to find a supplier that has low minimums so that you will be able to get your business started without having to spend large sums of money.
- Excellent service. Coffee suppliers that really want you to succeed will provide you with quality customer service. Search for a supplier who is willing to make adjustments to meet the needs of your company and provide you with coffee that you will be proud to sell to your customers.
SS Nutra is the best private-label coffee supplier to help you get started with selling coffee from your home. We have low minimums which makes it easy to get started in the industry, and our fast turns will ensure your customers are kept satisfied. Our licensed Q0grader will be able to match whatever roast profile you might have, and our private label expert team will ensure that you receive the highest quality coffee beans.
So whether you are searching for co-packaging or coffee roasting services, SS Nutr is able to take care of the roasting, grinding, and packaging of your coffee to provide you with a delicious and consistent brew every single time. We have an advanced inventory system that allows us to manage both small and large orders with the same high degree of care. We also have a flexible capacity which means we are able to grow as your company continues to grow. SS Nutra has over twenty years of experience, making us a supplier that your can trust to help make your online coffee business successful.
- Create Online Content
In order to sell your coffee online, it is essential to create outstanding content to post on your website. The following are some of the kinds of content that your online coffee business is going to need.
- High-quality photos. Before making a purchase, people like to see the product they are buying, so your website should be filled with high-quality photos of the coffee you are selling. Multiple views of your coffee beans and coffee packaging should be included, in addition to people enjoying or brewing your coffee. Use images that are aesthetically appealing and engage the senses. Customers are much more likely to buy your product when they can visualize it in action.
- Detailed product descriptions. Be sure that detailed product descriptions are included that describe all of the flavor notes of your coffee products. When your copy is compelling, potential buyers will be engaged and it will help them select the best coffee for their preferences.
- Other written content. Blog posts, sales copy, and other types of written content can be used to develop the voice of your brand and to share the story of your company. Interesting and compelling written content can help your customers feel connected with your coffee brand and you which will result in more sales. People love supporting brands they can relate to and trust, so your website should be filled with genuine and real content that will be enjoyable for your customers.
Remember that SEO (search engine optimization) can help your website rank higher within the search results to help customers find your brand. Make sure you use SEO best practices in order to drive more traffic to your site, including creating relevant and fresh written content, using relevant keywords, building strong links, and including high-quality images. SEO services can be used to maximize the conversion rate of your website. This can be an excellent long-term investment for growing your coffee business online.
- Build Your Brand Offline And Online
Building the social medial presence of your brand is another great digital marketing strategy you can use to increase traffic and drive traffic to your website. Social media sites such as Instagram and Facebook also let you connect with customers and develop a strong network. When you have a large social media follow it also helps your brand appear to be more trustworthy and reputable.
Facebook is an excellent way to reach a big audience. There are currently 2.23 billion worldwide active monthly users, and Facebook is used by 68% of U.S. adults. When you create a Facebook group or page for your online coffee business, it will allow you to have conversations with customers directly in the comment on your posts and develop deeper relationships with them.
Instagram has a visual focus which makes it a great website for showcasing your products in addition to reaching a younger audience. The Pew Research Center reports that 71% of individuals in the U.S. 18 to 24 years old are Instagram users. This particular demographic loves coffee as well and in recent years has driven the increase in gourmet coffee consumption. Instagram makes it possible for your business to connect with individuals through popular and branded hashtags and is a great way to show your company’s personality.
Make sure to network in person with customers along with connecting with them online. Talk to neighbors and friends about your coffee brand, and visit local shop shops that may want to serve your coffee. One of the most powerful marketing tools that are often overlooked by business owners is word of mouth. It can be one of the most effective ways to develop valuable connections for your business.
- Always Provide Outstanding Customer Sevice
In order for your business to succeed, it is essential to build up a loyal customer base since repeat customers can be the most powerful marketing tool you can have and provide you will reliable revenue. When customers love your coffee, they will share your content online and tell their family and friends about your brand. Providing outstanding customer service is an excellent way to grow a loyal customer base.
Ensure that your company develops a reputation for outstanding customer service by quickly filling orders, adjusting to the needs of customers, and responding with genuine care to customer complaints. If there is a mistake in an order, the problem can be fixed by good customer service and prevent you from losing customers in the process.
- Value Loyal Customers
Make sure that your loyal customers know that you truly value their business by giving them incentives to return. You can create a loyalty program or produce a monthly newsletter containing discounts and special deals for subscribers. Use the knowledge that you have of your customers to create specials they will love. Just a simple “thank you” shows customers how grateful you are for their support and purchases. If you can build a loyal customer base it will allow you to continue to grow a successful coffee business.
Benefits To Selling Coffee From Your Home
One of the best ways to get started within the coffee industry is to sell coffee online. The following are a couple of the benefits you can receive when you sell coffee from home.
- Draw on a big market. The National Coffee Association’s National Coffee Drinking Trends 2018 report showed that 79% of people who drink coffee every day brew their coffee at home. Just 36% said they buy coffee brewed the previous days outside of their home. There is a very big market for ground and whole coffee beans, in addition to the capsules used in single-serve machines. When you sell coffee online you can tap into the national market and even reach prospective customers all over the world.
- Have lower operating and startup expenses. Since you will not need to furnish or rent a coffee shop, order mugs or cups, or buy brewing or roasting equipment, you will save a lot of money in startup expenses. Depending on what your shipping and web design needs are, you can have very low operating costs.
- Keep a flexible schedule. When you operate an online business you can create your own schedule and work as much or little as you want to.
- Create your very own coffee brand. When you sell coffee from home it gives you the chance to create your very own brand, ranging from your company’s logo and name to the types and flavors of coffee that you sell. As you are trying out new marketing ideas and roasts, you can discover what your coffee brand is really all about. If in the future you decide you want to open up a coffee shop, you will have a competitive edge if you have already established a strong online branch.
Although it can be challenging to get started, it can also be very rewarding to sell coffee online. It can be a very lucrative business, and with the proper adaptability and dedication, your coffee business will be able to continue to grow and thrive.
Get Started With Selling Coffee Online Today By Partnering With SS Nutra
One of the most affordable ways to get started in the coffee industry and develop your coffee brand is to start an online coffee business. With plenty of dedication and hard work, your coffee brand will be able to develop into a very profitable business that will turn your love for coffee into money. When you decide to select SS Nutra to be your coffee supplier, we will be able to help you become a coffee business owner within weeks. The private label experts at SS Nutra will work closely with you in order to develop the ideal coffee blend for your business. We will create custom packaging to make your brand truly stand out and your customers will absolutely love our delicious coffee.